Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Wrong Bet: Why Curriculum and Standards Won't Help


I think it makes a lot of sense for schools to change their orientation and look towards the future instead of the past. For several years the education system has adopted the traditional education paradigm as we enter into the 21st century. This trend is similar to someone walking forward with a backward orientation. The focus is on where one left behind and not on where one is going. If schools around the world continue to follow common core standards, students who are under the category of creators and empathizers will have a difficult time to find their place in a world of factory and knowledge workers. It should be the goal of every educational institution to cater both the left-brain and right-brain thinkers as explained in Daniel Pink‘s “The Whole New Mind”. I believe schools should work towards tapping the full potential of every student into becoming creative, competitive, decisive and critical thinkers. Otherwise there will always be a competition of where labor is cheaper and not where it is more ingenious.

Coming from a country where labor is considered “cheap” I couldn’t agree completely with Zhao’s argument. As Zhao mentioned, people from countries who are willing to work for less will always have the “unfair” advantage of getting jobs. He also implies that developed countries need to work their way to compete with the less deserving developing countries. Such generalization is unacceptable and I believe that he needs to look into why people from developing countries get the job done and in a very satisfactory manner.
http://planetphilippines.com/current-affairs/english-proficiency-is-key-to-landing-a-job/
The traditional education paradigm has not affected my opportunities at all. I experience an educational system similar to the Asian countries that Zhao mentioned where a central government education authority prescribes and enforces what students need to learn. I must say that my education was sufficient enough to drive me in the direction of seeking a higher education geared towards the arts. The culture of empathy, resourcefulness and the need to excel taught me to be flexible despite having a rigid education. This has allowed me to have the same opportunities people from developed countries experience.

I am trying my best to instill the same characteristic to my students. I strive my best to give them venues to relate well with others, to be problem solvers and to have high standards. I believe that empathy results to competence, as it is very important to be aware of what the job entails as you work with other people. For one to be creative, one has to be resourceful. And to become an innovative global citizen it is a requirement to always strive for excellence as students try to break grounds, leading the way for others to follow.

World Class Learner: Educating Creative and Entrepreneurial Students

No comments:

Post a Comment